Fun days out near Lymington and the New Forest
There are loads of things to do in Lymington and the New Forest, but if you do fancy venturing out a little further, here are a few ideas...
- The Red House museum in Christchurch, built as a workhouse in 1764, is now filled with a rich variety of displays and a regular and varied exhibitions programme.
- Monkey World is an excellent day out, visiting the world famous ape rescue centre.
- The Tank Museum in Bovington: find out about firepower and see tanks in action!
- Adventure Wonderland has outdoor rides, Wild Thing indoor play and storytimes with Alice and the Hatter.
- Just next door, the Bournemouth Aviation Museum gives a wonderful, hands-on experience for aircraft lovers!
- The Oceanarium, Bournemouth's Aquarium, will be open throughout the holidays, with fun activities such as meet the creatures and feed the turtles.
- For something a bit different, try the new Rock Reef Activity Centre on Bournemouth Pier. Climbing, pier cave, highline and pier zip, which will you choose?!
- Beaulieu is a great day out for families, not just a great motor museum, it is steeped in history with the palace, abbey and role played in the Second World War. Ride the vintage bus and visit the walled garden. Always lots to see and do. Find out more about Beaulieu and everything it has to offer!
- Bucklers Hard is another great day out. The exciting Maritime Museum and Buckler’s Hard Story gives an insight into the history of this 18th century shipbuilding village focusing on its vessels including those built for Nelson's Navy.
- New Forest Wildlife Park is open every day from 10am - 5.30pm. Lots of animals to see and some fantastic adventure playgrounds!
- Longdown Activity Farm is open daily 10am-5pm, with magic on the farm with Silly Scott on Friday 3rd June
- In Southampton, visit the Tudor House and Garden and the Sea City Museum which tells of the impact of the Titanic disaster on the city.
- The Solent Sky Museum in Southampton is an interesting, hands-on experience, with volunteer guides on hand to talk you through the aircraft.
- How about Oxygen Freejumping in Southampton. A trampoline park, with 150 connected trampolines, an obstacle course and foam pit, slam dunk basketball hoops, dodgeball, runway and airbag! Freejump is the most popular session - book in advance
- Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth. Explore the three decks, listen to the child-friendly guides and discover more with touchscreens. Get hands on with the RIB simulator and race around the virtual harbour!
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard has lots happening over the holidays. Save 20% on ticket prices when you book online. It's worth considering the 'All Attraction' ticket which gives you entry to all the attractions in the dockyard for one year.
- Fort Nelson Royal Armouries is home to the Royal Armouries’ collection of artillery and historic cannon – the Big Guns – with over 350 on display, including the massive 200-tonne railway gun.
- Paultons Park has rides for all the family, with the new Lost Kingdom and 4D cinema now open.
Furzey Gardens is a wonderful place to visit with young children, with a delightful African style round houses and treehouse. Kids will love hunting for the secret fairy doors hidden throughout the Gardens.
Winchester Science Centre and Planetarium. Remember to think about parking before you arrive - it is well worth booking your tickets and parking ticket in advance, or consider using the park and ride facility.
- Marwell Zoo is a great day out for all the family!
- Mottisfont: visit the house and explore the grounds - during school holidays there is usually a trail for children.
- Experience the spring blooms at Sir Harold Hillier Gardens & Arboretum near Romsey.
- Take a Wightlink ferry from Lymington to Yarmouth and explore the small, historic town and Yarmouth Castle.
- From Yarmouth, drive or take the bus to the Needles Battery, Victorian coastal defence and secret rocket base perched high above the Needles rocks.
- Cowes is also not far away for a day out, plus Queen Victoria's Osborne House.
Do you know of any other interesting days out within easy reach of Lymington and the New Forest? Contact us so that we can add to our list!