What’s on in Lymington and the New Forest over Half Term
Things to do during the school holidays in the New Forest area
There are lots of exciting things happening in Lymington, the New Forest and surrounding areas this half term. Here is a guide of what's on and of things to do locally for visitors and locals. Take a look also at our fun days out feature if you're looking to venture slightly further afield. For those having to juggle work with school holidays, we have information about holiday childcare.
Remember to mention Lymington.com this half term!
Things to do in and around Lymington...
- Lymington Sea Water Baths is open throughout half term from 10am until 6pm. Inflatibles, kayaks, SUPs and now hot tubs! The changing rooms were refurbished last year. Fun times whatever the weather - just pop on a wetsuit if its chilly (you can hire a wetsuit at the Sea Water Baths)
- Lymington's Malt Cinema at The Lymington Centre will be showing Duck Duck Goose (PG) on Friday 25th, Saturday 26th, Tuesday 29th, Wednesday 30th and Thursday 31st May.
- Pick your own delicious strawberries at Goodall's Farm - where afterwards you can treat yourselves to afternoon tea.
- A visit to Lymington's famous charter market is an absolute must if you are visiting the area (and great for locals too!) - every Saturday 8am to 4pm on Lymington High Street. Come and explore the wealth of different stalls! Find out more about Lymington's famous market...
- Explore the bargains at the New Forest Car Boot Sale every Sunday 6.30am to 1pm. A great way to find some different pre-loved toys to play with!
- Lymington Town Tours will be running walking tours around the local area on Wednesday 30th May and Sunday 3rd June.
- See The Greatest Showman (PG) at Forest Arts on Wednesday 30th May.
- Sunday 3rd June is Artisans on the River at Bath Road Park. A fun family day for FREE! Free playground, entertainment and music.
- Discover Lymington's playgrounds! Find out more about where to play from some intrepid experts...
- The New Forest Model Railway Exhibition is taking place on Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th May in Brockenhurst.
- "Brockstock" is taking place in Brockenhurst on Sunday 27th and Monday 28th May.
- It is annual St Mary's Garden Fete at Pylewell Park, with dog show, on Saturday 2nd June, always a delightful occasion and well worth attending.
- Forest Fables and Seaside Stories returns to Forest Arts on Sunday 3rd June, join Bearface Theatre for family fun and games.
Fun in the New Forest
- New Forest Centre in Lyndhurst is holding Half Term Family Discovery Days on Tuesday 29th and Thursday 31st May from 10am-4pm. New Forest themed trails, quizzes and craft activities for all the family, so come along and explore your crafty side.
- Visit the New Forest Reptile Centre on Wild Wednesday. 10.30am to 4pm. Come and see the ‘live’ video of birds on their nests as well as the reptiles and amphibians.
- Lepe Country Park have a half term trail. Pick up a trail card from the park office anytime between 10am - 3pm and return with correct answers to claim your prize. Cost: £2 per child, no need to book.
- Wild about Ponies on Thursday 1st June 1-2pm at Bolderwood. Discover more about the New Forest ponies and why they are important.
- Follow the Discovery Trail at Bolderwood - a short waymarked route from Bolderwood carpark. Pick up an activity pack from the New Forest information station.
- Make a Fairy Garden and discover the Fairy Doors at Furzey Gardens from Tuesday 29th May to Friday 1st June. Visit the gardens and have fun in the Bug Barn!
- Learn about the Trees in Hartford Wood with Big Owls at the Countryside Education Trust on Tuesday 29th May.
- Join the New Forest Litter Pick, meeting at Bolton's Queens car park on Saturday 2nd June.
Days out in the New Forest
- Beaulieu have a Spies and Soldiers theme throughout half term, with activities for the whole family - including their new Official Falconer who will be doing demonstrations every day. Link here to the Beaulieu website to book tickets (if you purchase tickets in advance there is a saving) Lymington.com tip: go at the beginning of the week and visit again for free within 6 days!
- Step back in time at Buckler’s Hard this half term as Living History characters take you on a tour of the once-thriving shipbuilding village. 26th-29th May step aboard HMS Medusa, which took a starring role in the recent Dunkirk movie, and learn more about its wartime role helping to clear the way to Omaha Beach for D-Day.
Get active in the New Forest
- Based on the bank of the Beaulieu River, New Forest Activities have a great range of activities for all the family - choose from archery, canoeing, kayaking, cycling and Battlefield Open Battles (for age 8+). Find out more and make bookings online. There's a Family Woodland Adventure Day on Wednesday 30th May and Family Canoeing every day during Half Term.
- Meanwhile, find The New Forest Paddle Sport Company in Milford on Sea, who offer paddleboard and kayak tuition and hire offer Guided Tours to Hurst Castle by SUP or kayak.
- Every Saturday at Woodside is Park Run, a great way for families to run together, from 9am. Register online before arriving to get a barcode.
- Ballard School have holiday sports camps on Thursday 31st May and Friday 1st June, with activities for Years 2-9 including mini-gymnastics, triathlon training and multi-sports.
- New Forest Activities hold Adventure Days for children aged 8-14 years. The day includes learning bushcraft skills such as foraging and shelter building, plus archery and the ropes course. This half term the Adventure Day is Thursday 31st May, click the link for Adventure Days during the summer holidays.
- Lymington Tennis Club hold tennis and fun sports camps every school holiday, either full days or half days are available.
- Lymington Cricket Club will be hosting Hampshire Cricket Training this half term from 29th May to 1st June.
- New Forest Hockey Club will be holding hockey camps on 29th and 30th May.