A school for Pennington from Mrs Pulteney
Pennington's Old School, feature of the village since 1852 and source of many memories...
Education in Pennington took place in four private houses until 1852, when a school was opened in Pennington Square. Mrs Evelyn Pulteney, lady of the manor donated the site plus £1,300 towards construction, the remaining £300 being collected by the Revd William Lambert, vicar of Pennington at the time.
Later the clock was built in the bell tower by the people of Pennington to mark the Coronation of King George V in 1911.
The first headmaster of the school was Mr James Lockhart, with his wife the first mistress in a joint appointment.
Soon the school outgrew the building and an infant school was built nearby in 1886-1887.
In 1919 the head teacher at the school (for 7-14 year olds) was Mr 'Skip' Pattendon, known to be a very strict man, who allegedly once caned a whole class of 30 pupils on their right hands to make sure he had punished the culprit of one misdemeanor. Children used to sing a rhyme (although not in his earshot!):
"Skipper Pattendon is a good man. He tries to teach us all he can. To reading, writing and arithmetic, And he don't forget to give us the stick. When he does he makes us dance, Out of England and into France, Out of France and into Spain, Over the hills and back again."
At this time the children looked forward to a weekly soup kitchen, in a house bearing the date 1897 a little way along Wainsford Road. Miss Helen Fullerton, of Pennington Chase, generously provided the ingredients, whilst volunteer helpers prepared the soup in a large boiler in the kitchen. The hot soup would contain rabbit, peas etc, and the children would bring their own bowl, spoon and bread. They would sit on benches inside the house to eat their soup, and women woud collect it in large wash-basins or jugs and be charged 2d a quart.
Children at the school could subscribe to a penny-a-week club which they had to save, the money could only be drawn out when they left school at the age of 14.
Generations of Pennington children were taught in the old school in Pennington square until 1960, when two classrooms of the new school in Priestlands Road were occupied. By Christmas 1970 the remaining staff and children also moved to the new eight-classroom school.
On 10 September 2002, Pennington Junior School staff and pupils wore Victorian costume to mark the school's 150th anniversary, led by the head teacher Hilary Flaxman.
This Friday visit the Pennington Christmas celebration by the Old Schoolhouse from 6pm! Find out more...
Find out more about the history of Lymington and Pennington at St Barbe Museum and Art Gallery.
Don't miss out! If you haven't done so already, do sign up free of charge to receive our Weekly What's On newsletter! Emailed every Friday morning to help you plan your weekend!
Lymington in Old Picture Postcards by Brian J Down
Lymington: a pictorial past by Brian J Down
Then & Now: Lymington and Pennington by Brian J Down